Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sunday evening I made macaroni and cheese.  The kids absolutely love this dish and it is so easy with very few ingredients!  When I was out in Virginia a few months back I made it for my grandfather and aunt.  They all loved it too (although I used pastuerized cheese and milk there and I use raw here).  We often add tuna to it.  Of course, it was late by the time I made dinner and I didn't prepare a vegetable.  I'm not doing well with sticking to my veggies, however I am including them more than usual.  It is a slow progression.  My garage refrigerator froze half a head of cabbage, my leeks, and half my carrots.  I forgot that if you stick them toward the back of the darn thing they freeze!  I should put a note on the door so I never forget again.  I might be buying leeks tomorrow.
Some friends from church had a BBQ/pool party Monday evening.  We took our grass fed beef burgers and uncured beef hot dogs and some coleslaw I made.  They were providing the buns for the meat, but I made a couple whole spelt hamburger bun to take for myself.  I didn't even eat a brownie there!  I am quite proud of that accomplishment.  We had a great time, the kids barely got out of the pool long enough to eat dinner!
The little guy was sick today, some stomach bug or something.  So I ended up holding him most of the afternoon and wasn't able to make dinner.  Once Jeff was home from work it was too late to make anything in my meal plan.  I scrounged for something and ended up with some canned chicken, salsa, cheese, and tortillas.  I heated the chicken and salsa on the stove and then put it on a tortilla, added some cheese, and then rolled it up.  I baked it in the oven for about 30 minutes.  It is a type of chimichanga, I suppose.  I also made a big cheese quesadilla for some of the kids.  We all dipped them in sour cream cause that's how we roll up in here!  This would be a much healthier meal if the chicken were a higher quality, the salsa was home made, and the tortillas were whole grain made by myself.  Alas, I was going with what I had on hand that could be made up quickly.  One day I will have it all together!

No comments: