Saturday, July 9, 2011

plans change

I have messed up my whole meal plan schedule, but that's how I roll!  Jeff worked late Wednesday and Thursday night (well past the kids' bedtime) so I kind of let it all go.  I did make the twice baked potatoes (with hot dogs) on Wednesday evening but didn't do the creamed spinach with it.  Thursday night I scrapped my plans- because I lose all motivation when I know he will be working past midnight- and just bought some chicken from the store for the kids.  I know, not a healthy food by any means- I'm not perfect, you know!  Last night I made pizza pockets.  These are really so easy.  The dough is so simple- it is the same one I used for poptarts.  I don't soak it because I have read that soaking grains with a dairy product doesn't actually break down the phytic acid, so what would be the point?  They were delicious and the kids even ate the  leftovers for breakfast this morning.  Tonight we are having baked ziti for dinner.   It is really easy to make, though, and my children love it!  We are also having broccoli slaw.  I just tasted it and it is delicious.

Baked Ziti

8 -16 oz ziti depending on how saucy you would like it to be- I used 16. (penne or another similarly shaped noodle would work as well)
26 oz spaghetti sauce
15 oz ricotta
2 cups of cheese (mozzarella or white cheddar)

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Boil pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, mix sauce and cheeses in a bowl.
Drain pasta and return to pot.  Add sauce mixture.  Spoon (I pour) into a 9x13 pan and cover with parchment and then foil.  Bake 45 minutes or until edges are bubbly.  Once done, you can also sprinkle additional cheese on top and bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes.  I usually skip this.

I don't know how many servings this makes, but we are a family of six and we have plenty left over.  You can make it more healthy by making your own sauce rather than store bought and using a whole grain pasta.  I use raw white cheddar cheese and I am hoping to make my own ricotta from our raw milk so I can try it in this recipe.  Store bought ricotta has fillers in it that I am not so sure I want to be eating.

No comments: