Friday, October 7, 2011

quinoa

I made quinoa for my breakfast today.  I cooked it in half water, half milk.  We added just a bit of raw honey and some cinnamon.  Kind of like serving oatmeal, but it isn't oatmeal.  It is a different texture- it kind of pops as you chew!  (kind of cool in a way)  My almost 2 year old and 5 year old loved it.  I thought it was pretty good, but I'm not used to it yet.  I always tell my picky eater (the 10 year old) that she has to eat something several times to develop a taste for it- and then she will like it.  I think that is how quiona is for me.  I didn't hate it or anything.  It was just so different from what I am used to (oatmeal) that I need to get used to it.  It got better as I ate it- just like with trying beets last week, the more I ate the more I got used to it, the more I liked it.  Quinoa will definitely be a regular breakfast at our house.  Next I plan to try it in place of rice and maybe in tabbouleh.

By the way, you'd think no sugar for over a week would lead to weight loss?  Nope.  What is up?????

No comments: